Want to know 7 simple ways to walking more ??
Did you know we should be taking 10,000 steps daily to be classed as active. But with more people doing sedentary type jobs most people are not getting anywhere near that amount. So I’m sharing 7 simple ways to walk more and incorporate a bit more walking into your daily routine.
For anyone who doesn’t know I’m a dental nurse and although a do sit down for my job it also includes running up and down stairs. So out of curiosity I uploaded an app to my phone to check how many steps I was doing, I thought I would be easily doing my 10,000 a day after working and running round after the kids. But I was so very wrong, although my working days are pretty high of activity I was still know where near the 10,000 steps goal.
So It’s time to incorporate more walking into our everyday life.
So here are my simple ways to walking more and getting closer to your 10,000 steps per day.
- Get a pedometer or app for you phone so you can see exactly how many steps you are doing. You then know where you are in terms of activity and can plan to increase your steps.
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator when shopping. This will help you up your steps and gain more strength in your legs too.
- Plan more outdoor activities at the weekends to include more walking.
- Park your car further away from the place you are going to gain extra steps
- Walk the dog more. This is something I’ve not been doing so much over winter with the dark nights but with the lighter nights returning it’s something we can all do as a family which will help with the kids activity too.
- Move around more. If you’ve been sat for a long length of time get up and walk around for 5 minutes. This will help towards your daily steps and activity.
- Choose to walk to places instead of taking the car or bus.
Walking is a great form of exercise and something most people can do easily. Its really helps with keeping fit and healthy and I hope this has inspired you to get out and walk a little more. Check out the NHS 10,000 step challenge to really challenge yourself and reach your goal.
Until next time