Everything in Moderation

Everything in Moderation? ….I hear you say …

We live in such a greedy world of which we are always on the look out for more.

More money, a better car, a new house. Also in our personnel lives we are always trying to make more time, more opportunities etc etc …

I want to firstly say that there is nothing wrong with being driven or trying to achieve great things in our lives. But what I am saying is that sometimes we need to accept our life for what it is and enjoy the here and now, what if we learn’t to live a balanced life accepting our own life and not feeling the need for more and more.

“If you know what’s just enough, why go overboard “

I began to think about this more after picking the new book on Lagom The Swedish art of balanced living. I’ve been interest in the Scandinavian way of life for a while now and have already looked into Lagom before so if you’ve never heard of it. Check it out here.

What is Lagom??

Lagom doesn’t have a direct translation in the English language but loosely means “not too little, not too much, but just enough

Some may say that it is just another fad…(maybe so) but when everyone is rushing round, working long hours, screen time is increasing more and more and we are constantly stressed chasing our tales trying to fit everything into our very busy lives, constantly feeling like we are not spending enough quality time with our families *and breathe* I sure could do with a little Lagom in my life! Could you ?

So it’s everything in moderation you say …

“Lagom is about making a good life less complicated “

But is it realistic ??

I think it is, but we have to realise and accept that we need to stop putting so much pressure on ourselves and enjoy and accept the life for what it is. I know I’m terrible for setting myself up with so many jobs, lists, expectations that when I don’t achieve them it’s a feeling of disappointment and regret.

What does everything in moderation mean ?

Eating healthy the majority of the time, but not feeling guilty if you want to have a yummy piece of cake at the weekend.

Getting fit without spending your life in the gym

Appreciating your loved ones and interests rather than material items and possessions.

Creating a more minimalistic home but also still keeping the cosy aspect with candles and chunky blankets. I’m also realistic in the fact that I do have children and a husband and their idea of minimalistic living is very different to mine.

Don’t be a workaholic, have passion and enjoy your job, work hard but also remember to enjoy your home life too.

Except that life isn’t always perfect but that we still have so much to be thankful for.

Lagom has giving me lots to think about in the way we live our life, whats important and way I plan to move forward.

I’d love to hear what you think of this idea of living life in moderation and the concept of Lagom.

Until next time

Caroline x

12 Comments

• August 25, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Thank you Izzy…..too right !!

1. August 26, 2017 / 5:54 pm

So true. Everything in moderation – and even moderation should not be practiced to excess. I think that’s a Buddha quote (but don’t quote me on it haha)

• August 26, 2017 / 6:15 pm

Thank you Emma sounds perfect to me xx thank you for your comment

2. August 28, 2017 / 7:43 am

I think it sounds absolutely perfect, and also makes a lot of sense. It’s all about balance. I like the concept a lot.

• August 28, 2017 / 10:02 am

Thank you Carol I’m glad you enjoyed reading xx

3. August 30, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Lagom is just the word we need at the moment: living life in moderation makes a movement every few years, such as downsizing in the 90s, minimalism in the noughties, environmentalism in the 70s. The problem is that these words very soon become tied into particular images (of tree-huggers, hippies, Notting Hill Enviros or whatever) and the rest of the world looks and thinks no thanks. What we really need is to get the idea out in a way that feels achievable by everybody, not a preachy sermon, but a realistic and liveable life that recognises we’ll be moderate most of the time, but that the occasional blow out won’t be bad. A lagom life that adapts. I think even if lagom turns out to be just a scandi fad, it will have got a few more converts. It wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t another balance movement to follow…. like the Goldilocks movement. Not too much, not too little, just right. Actually… that’s a political movement I could aspire to!

• August 30, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Thank you jo yes I couldn’t agree more x thank you for your comment

• August 30, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Oh wow yes i bet you do !! Its a brilliant concept isn’t it. I love the ideas it brings. Thank you for commenting Sinead X

4. September 6, 2017 / 5:48 am

I love this concept – I don’t think it’s a fad. I think it’s just what we all need in this modern world of ours. I used to put a lot of pressure on myself to do everything, but I have to say having kids has balanced me out a lot. I think you have to accept that you can’t get it all done and learn to prioritise and seek balance. This book sounds a good read! xx
    Rosie @ Little Fish recently posted…Living Arrows: 34/52 Last Day of Forest SchoolMy Profile

5. September 6, 2017 / 11:38 am

I love this idea. I am all up for everything in moderation but I am not always good at it. I tend to throw myself into work, only to burn out later. I need to take note!